Friday, March 26, 2010

Baluchi's Indian Food


224 East 53rd Street
between 2nd and 3rd Avenues
New York, NY 10022

(212) 750-5515
Fax: (212)750-2288




An Indian chain all about New York, this has become one of my favorite Indian restaurants of all time.
I usually order delivery or take out for the $14.95 prix fixe dinner special of appetizer and entree (only available on takeout menu) but last night I decided to dine in for the first time at this particular location.

The Manager was most gracious and welcoming and sat my dining companion and I at a lovely table with a banquette. The decor speaks for itself in the photo. Warm and cozy with spice colors and glass lamps. We were immediately given a basket of chapti (chickpea crisps) and a trio of chutneys.
We ordered a samosa to share which was a flaky pastry triangle filled with potato, chickpeas, and peas. My entree was my favorite, korma (chicken) although I usually have it made with lamb (not shown on the delivery menu). My companion had the chicken tikka masala which I learned is the national dish of England. Rice is not included with your entree (thought that was odd since it comes with the dinner delivery special) and neither is bread. We shared a bowl of rice which was basmati scented with cardamom and spices. Everything was served in lovely, heavy metal bowls. I tried the Rose lassi which is a yogurt beverage flavored with rose petals (it was a brilliant pink) and we finished dinner with Rasmalai, fresh handmade cheese (similar to ricotta) in floral scented sweet milk.

The fragrance of the spices and floral essences added to the wonderful flavors of the food stimulating all the senses.

Official website

No comments:

Post a Comment