Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Melt Café and Gelato Bar


1053 2nd Avenue, New York
(646) 344-1287











This place is relatively new and the lunch special on the outside board caught my eye... $7.95 for half a pannini, salad, drink, and soup or gelato.
I chose the Parma Panini of prosciutto, spinach, shaved parmigiano with oil & vinegar. I placed my order, paid, and was given a pager that would buzz and vibrate to let me know when my order was ready. After I chose my drink of a diet Coke, I settled onto a banquette and watched a guy behind the counter make crepes for another person. After about 5 minutes, my pager went off blinking and buzzing. I went up to the counter to find my lunch order waiting for me.

The pannini (pressed Italian sandwich) was crispy, warm, and delicious but the salad was a small wilted mesclun mix of greens with balsamic vinaigrette on the side. After enjoying my lunch, I got up to the counter again where I could choose my gelato (I didn't want soup since the drink was included) which is handmade on the premises. After a few free tastings I settled for the pistachio gelato. Rich, creamy and a natural colored greenish hue, not that garish neon green you see in store bought American ice cream.
Staff was pleasant and cordial. Clean white decor almost Scandinavian in design.

Melt is a franchise chain originating from California with locations in Arizona, California, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, and Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment